Black cohosh is a flowering herb native to eastern and central U.S. Its fresh or dried roots and rhizomes are used for medicinal purposes due to presence of beneficial glycosides, anti-inflammatory isoferulic acids, phytoestrogens and 26-deoxyactein.
Black cohosh is available in many forms including tablets, capsules, tincture, extracts and dried roots for making tea.
Health benefits of Black Cohosh Roots:
- Benefits for women:
- Relieves symptoms of menopause: The estrogenic activity of the root is found to be beneficial in treating hot flashes, mood swings, vaginal dryness, depression and sweating experienced by pre and post menopausal women. These occur due to an imbalance of progesterone and estrogen hormones in aging women which is corrected by the black cohosh root.
- to Get Rid of Ovarian Cysts Naturally
- Eases discomforts of premenstrual syndrome (PMS): Black cohosh capsule, tea, tincture or extract effectively treat premenstrual symptoms like headache, irritability, bloating and depression by balancing the progesterone to estrogen ratio in our body.
- Therapy for menstrual cramps: The anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties of black cohosh root make it beneficial in easing menstrual cramps. Just drink a cup of black cohosh tea and feel the difference.
- It also serves as an effective emmenagogue i.e. it promotes menstrual bleeding in women suffering from cramps and congestion of uterine muscles affecting blood flow.
- It is used to induce labor in women who have history of difficult labor.
- It also promotes lactation.
- The phytoestrogens present in black cohosh root safeguards women against breast cancer by inhibiting negative effects of estrogen.
- Relieves headaches and migraine: One capsule or just one cup of black cohosh tea has a mild sedative effect on you and relieves you from headache occurring due to stress, depression or anxiety.
- Beneficial for our respiratory tract: It helps in easing respiratory problems like sinusitis, congestion of nose, asthma, bronchitis, colds and flu by virtue of its decongestant, astringent, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Anti-inflammatory benefits: Black cohosh root is beneficial against inflammatory diseases like rheumatism, arthritis and gout. You can combine it with willow bark, poplar bark and guaiacum raisin to enhance its effectiveness in relieving inflammation.
- Good for bone health: The phytoestrogens present in black cohosh root help in maintaining our bone strength and keep osteoporosis at bay. It prevents our bones from becoming fragile and thereby prevents their susceptibility to fractures. Even when you are detected with osteoporosis you can start having black cohosh root capsules and safeguard your bones from further damage.
- The root is also beneficial in reducing levels of LDL or bad cholesterol in our blood, serves as stomach tonic, relieves kidney disorders, malaria and hives.
- Black cohosh root was used traditionally to cure acne, remove wart and moles through topical application. It was also used to cure whooping cough, scarlet fever and small pox.
Caution: Over consumption of black cohosh root is associated with drowsiness, loose stools, abdominal cramps, visual blurring, tremors and lowered heart rate. It should be avoided by people suffering from heart disease and pregnant women.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.