Buttermilk refers to fermented milk obtained by adding lactic acid bacteria to fresh milk.
It also refers to the liquid that remains behind after butter is churned out of cream. As compared to milk, buttermilk has much higher levels of beneficial lactic acid whereas it is very low in fat content.
It is little sour in taste and rich in calcium, vitamins, protein and carbohydrates. It is either consumed as a beverage or used in cooking. Its powdered form is also available.
Buttermilk Health benefits
- Eases digestion: It prevents heartburn and indigestion by forming a protective coating on the lining of our stomach and thereby does not let acids reach the esophagus. It has been found to be beneficial in soothing ulcers. Moreover those who have lactose intolerance can also easily digest buttermilk.
- Helps to Treat Crohns Disease Naturally
- Lowers body heat: Buttermilk is very popular during summers because its lactic acid tends to lower the heat generated in our body as a result of any internal problem or external situation. This property is beneficial as remedy for hot flashes experienced by pre and post menopausal women. It keeps dehydration, sunburn and sunstroke at bay during summers. Sunburn can be soothed by applying a mixture of 5 tablespoons of buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of tomato juice on the affected area for half an hour.
- Boosts immunity: Being a lactic acid rich natural probiotic, buttermilk boosts our immunity by assisting the body to keep harmful microorganisms at bay.
- Helps to Cure Infant Thrush with Home Remedies
- Beneficial for our skin: Apart from drinking, you can also apply it on the skin to get a smooth and radiant skin that is free from spots and freckles. Its acidic and astringent properties also help remove tan and enhance skin elasticity. Applying a paste of dried and powdered orange peel and buttermilk helps to get rid of dark spots on your face.
- Hair care: For a cooling effect on your head you can massage buttermilk in your scalp and rinse it off with warm water. Adding a few drops of honey and lemon juice gives you a lustrous mane.
- Beneficial for weight loss: It provides our body with almost all the nutrients required without increasing weight as it very low in fats.
- Being rich in calcium buttermilk gives us stronger and healthier teeth and bones. 1 cup of buttermilk contains 284mg of calcium. Calcium helps to prevent osteoporosis, promotes muscular contraction and relaxation, helps in clotting of blood and maintains normal heart beat.
- Beneficial for our heart: As it is low in fat its regular consumption does not add on to much extra fat to our body thereby preventing fat depositions in our blood vessels which in turn protects us against heart attacks and strokes.
- The live cultures present in buttermilk safeguards our body against carcinogens as well.
- People who have undergone gall bladder removal surgery are recommended low fat diets. Buttermilk which is very low in fats serves as a good source of nutrients to them.
So instead of drinking carbonated beverages just drink a glass of buttermilk and make your life healthier.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.