Clove, a culinary spice, is the dried flower bud of the tree Eugenia aromatica that is native to Indonesia. It is popular for its flavor and offers significant health benefits. Cloves are rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory, carminative, antiseptic and warming properties. The compound eugenol present in cloves is responsible for its aroma. Clove is also an ingredient of many toothpaste, soaps, perfumes, cigarettes and beauty products.
Health Benefits of Clove
- Helps to relieve toothache: Application of clove oil or a poultice made of cloves as well as chewing a clove helps to ease toothache, sore gums and oral ulcers. Eugenol present in it serves as an analgesic and local anesthetic. You can soak few cloves in half a cup of hot water for 10 minutes and once it cools down it can be used as a mouthwash to relieve tooth and gum inflammations. It also relieves you from bad breath.
- Used for Abscessed Tooth Treatment
- Beneficial for easing infections of the respiratory tract: Chewing cloves with pepper or drinking a cup of tea containing cloves eases discomforts accompanying upper respiratory tract infections. Cloves taken with honey and garlic daily are beneficial for relieving cough in asthma and tuberculosis patients.
- Helps in digestion: You can chew a clove to ease your hiccups, indigestion, motion sickness, gas and nausea. It increases enzyme synthesis in the gastro-intestinal tract and promotes gastric motility thereby easing digestion. It is also beneficial for killing worms in the intestine.
- to Get Rid of Ringworm Fast
- Anti-inflammatory benefits: Massaging clove oil helps to treat joint and muscle inflammations seen in conditions like sore muscles, rheumatism and arthritis. Eugenol and flavonoids present in cloves help to ease inflammation. Adding little clove oil in hot water and taking a bath with that makes you feel pain free. Using warm sesame oil with clove oil is beneficial for treating earaches.
- Skin care: Its antiseptic properties make cloves useful in treating acne, wounds, fungal infections on skin, cuts and scabies, insect bites and stings. For topical application clove oil should be diluted with olive oil as it is very strong.
- Stress reliever: As clove oil is said to be an aphrodisiac it serves as a very good stress relieving agent. It gives you a pleasant feeling thereby easing mental stress and inducing a sound sleep. You can massage your forehead with clove oil and salt to get rid of migraine headaches.
- Good for our heart: Essential volatile oils present in cloves promote expansion of blood vessels thereby improving blood circulation and enhancing body metabolism. It also purifies the blood and reduces blood sugar and cholesterol levels. All this helps to maintain a healthy heart and keeps disease like arthrosclerosis, heart attacks and strokes at bay.
- Its anti-oxidant properties are beneficial for keeping cancer at bay.
Caution: Ingestion of clove oil is not advised for children as it may cause seizures, liver damage and fluid imbalance. As eugenol is associated with slowing down blood clotting cloves should not be taken by people suffering from bleeding disorders or who are about to undergo any surgery.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.