Mustard greens, also identified by the names Brassica juncea, Chinese mustard, Indian mustard or leaf mustard, belong to Brassica family.
Mustard is included in one of the most nutritious green leafy vegetables. This cruciferous vegetable has a pungent spicy taste with crispy texture and thin tender edible stem. The top green portion of the plant contains more amounts of vitamin A, carotene, vitamin K and antioxidant flavonoid.
Mustard greens are loaded with proteins, carbohydrates, amino acids, vitamins like A, C, D, E, K, vitamin B6, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, vitamin B12, choline and betaine. They also consist of calcium, iron, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, copper, manganese, selenium and fluoride.
Health Benefits of Mustard Greens
– Mustard greens contain abundance of phyto-nutrients, which possess disease prevention and health promotional properties.
– They have very low amount of fats and calories and good quantity of fiber, which help to reduce blood cholesterol level. Due to high fiber content, mustard improves bowel movements and prevents constipation, hemorrhoids and reduces the risk of colon cancer.
– Fresh leaves of mustard greens contain a significant amount of folic acid. This water-soluble vitamin plays an essential role in DNA synthesis.
– Mustard greens consist of high amount of anti-oxidants like flavonoids, sulforaphane, indoles, lutein, carotene and zea-xanthin. These anti-oxidants can help prevent various types of cancers like breast, ovarian, prostate and colon by inhibiting cancer cell growth with cytotoxic effects on malignant cells.
– Mustard greens are also an excellent source of vitamin C, which helps to protect against free radical injury and flu-like viral infections.
– Rich in vitamin A, mustard leaves can be considered as a good remedy for healthy skin, mucus membrane and good eyesight.
– Loaded with all the essential vitamins and minerals, fresh mustard greens, if included in diet, can help to prevent iron deficiency anemia, osteoporosis, arthritis, asthma, cardiovascular diseases as well as prostate and colon cancer.
– Due to high content of vitamin K, mustard greens possess strong anti-inflammatory properties, which contribute to improve cardiovascular health.
– With rich content of antioxidants and sulfur-containing nutrients, mustard greens enhance body detoxification, which play vital role in cardiovascular health, prevention of cancer and other chronic disorders.
– Mustard greens contain high amount of dietary fibers. Regular consumption of mustard greens help to regulate metabolism process and maintain healthy body weight.
Mustard oil is a fatty vegetable oil obtained from pressing mustard seeds. It can be obtained by another process by grinding the seeds and mixing them with water. The resulting volatile oil is extracted by the process of distillation. The third method of preparing mustard oil is to infuse mustard seed extract in another vegetable oil like soybean oil. A pungent nature of mustard oil is due to presence of allyl isothiocyanate. In addition to anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, mustard oil is the best source of proteins, vitamins like A, E and B complex, supported by iron, calcium, sodium, potassium, foliate, magnesium and phosphorus. Mustard oil is mainly used for cooking and medicinal purposes.
Health Benefits of Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is a popular essential oil, which is known to provide a variety of health benefits.
- Mustard oil is the best massage oil, which helps to reduce skin dryness as well as enhances blood circulation, muscular development and improves skin texture.
- Used in Treatment for Low Platelets
- Mustard oil is considered as an excellent remedy for treating arthritis and rheumatoid disorders. Massaging joints and entire body using mustard oil gives remarkable relief from pain.
- Mustard oil can be effectively used as a skin cleanser. Massaging the face and body with this oil helps to remove dirt and opens the clogged pores. Increased blood circulation nourishes and rejuvenates the skin.
- Mustard oil is the best hair vitaliser. It is most commonly used in the Asian countries for hair massage.
- to Reverse Hair Loss in Men Naturally
- Regular use of mustard oil helps to improve cardiovascular health as well as digestive and excretory systems.
- Due to its antibacterial properties, it can be used to treat cough and cold.
- It can also be used for teeth and gum massage. It improves oral health.
- With its anti-inflammatory properties, mustard oil helps to relieve the symptoms of chronic bowel disorders like irritable bowel syndrome. It reduces the inflammation of stomach lining.
- To Get Rid of Vitiligo Naturally
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.