Bilberry is the edible fruit of a low growing shrub that grows in acidic soils in temperate climates and subarctic regions of the world.
Anthocyanins, quercetin, catechins, tannins and resveratrol present in bilberry makes it a very healthy fruit.
Dried or fresh bilberry as well as bilberry herbal tea is quite popular in Europe. Bilberry pills and its jams are also available. Bilberry extracts and leaves are also used for their healing benefits.
Health benefits of Bilberry:
- Beneficial for our eyes: Bilberry preparations are beneficial as effective therapy for eye problems including diabetic retinopathy, cataracts, macular degeneration and enhance night vision. It also eases headache caused by eyestrain. By virtue of its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, collagen stabilizing and rhodopsin reconstruction properties it enhances our eye health.
- to Get Rid of Eye Floaters without Surgery,
- Beneficial for skin: Its quercetin and resveratrol offer anti-aging benefits to the skin. Moreover vitamin B, C and E present in bilberry help to prevent bacterial infection of the skin and also help maintain its elasticity. That is why it is an active component of any cosmetic products.
- Diabetes treatment: Bilberry leaves have been used traditionally to reduce blood sugar levels in diabetics. Moreover the ripened fruits help lower blood vessel damage caused by diabetes as well as safeguard from diabetic retinopathy and nephropathy. Tingling sensation felt by diabetics can be controlled by using bilberry extracts.
- Good for our cardiovascular system: Studies have depicted that anthocyanosides in bilberries help to tone the muscles of our blood vessels, enhance blood circulation and prevent platelet aggregation and oxidation of LDL or bad cholesterol. All this help to lower risks of atherosclerosis, heart attacks and stroke.
- By improving blood circulation it also eases symptoms of Reynaud’s disease.
- Treats diarrhea: In European medicine bilberry has been used for years to treat diarrhea. The anti-inflammatory and astringent properties of tannins present in bilberries control loose stools. By reducing intestinal inflammation it also controls dysentery and peptic ulcers.
- Beneficial in easing chronic venous insufficiency: The symptoms associated with chronic venous insufficiency include swelling and pain in legs, varicose veins, itching as well as skin ulcers. A standardized bilberry extract is popularly used in Europe for the treatment of the condition.
- Bilberries have been found to be beneficial against urinary tract infections.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties are beneficial in easing inflammatory conditions like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, gum disease and mucous membrane inflammation.
- Bilberries also help to prevent ulcers, cancer, edema and treats chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Bilberry tea is beneficial in healing hemorrhoids.
- Its antimicrobial properties safeguard the body from bacterial, fungal and yeast infections. Protozoan like Trichomonas vaginalis are retarded by bilberries.
Caution: Bilberry tends to interfere with anti-diabetes medicines. As bilberry leaves reduce blood pressure, before taking them along with medicines for diabetes you should consult your physician as there are high chances of too much drop in blood sugar levels. Moreover as bilberry slows down blood clotting it should not be teamed with anticoagulant or anti-platelet drugs as it may lead to excessive bleeding and other complications.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.