Red wine is very popular among different types of wines. It is prepared from dark-colored (black) grapes. The color of wine may range from intense violet in case of young wine to brick red for mature wines and brown color in case of older red wines. The juice extracted from black grapes is greenish-white in color. The red color of wine is because of anthocyan pigments, also known as anthocyanins. These pigments are present in the skin of grapes. Some of the most common types of red wine are Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Chianti, Petite Sirah, Shiraz, Barolo, Malbec, Sangiovese, Bordeaux and Tempranillo.
Red wine is rich in carbohydrate, sugar, proteins and vitamins like vitamin A, C, D, E, K as well as vitamin B-complex including thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12, choline, pantothenic acid and betaine. It also consists of minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, selenium and zinc.
Health Benefits of Red Wine
– Red wine, when consumed in moderate amount, can be heart healthy. The rich content of alcohol and antioxidants in red wine can help to increase the levels of good (HDL) cholesterol, decrease the formation of blood clots and prevent artery damage and in turn, heart diseases. The antioxidants present in red wine are of two types such as flavonoids and non-flavonoids. Resveratrol is a nonflavonoid present in the skin of grapes. It is known to lower bad (LDL) cholesterol and thus, reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
– In addition to resveratrol, red wine consists of many powerful antioxidants, which can prevent signs of aging as well as several degenerative illnesses such as type 2 diabetes. Additionally, consumption of 1-2 glasses of red wine daily can prevent the diseases like osteoporosis.
– Drinking red wine in moderate quantity can be helpful to prevent cancer. Antioxidants present in red wine can prevent the oxidative damage, which can lead to process of aging and degenerative conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes. Guercetin, one of the major antioxidants in red wine, might be helpful to prevent lung cancer. Resveratrol also helps to inhibit cancerous cells.
– Red wine is also beneficial in maintaining dental health. It helps to harden tooth enamel and prevents tooth decay. Hardening of enamel increases resistance for Streptococcus mutans, which grow on teeth and cause tooth decay. Additionally, polyphenols present in red wine can help to protect you from gum diseases and helps to treat gingivitis (inflammation of gums).
– Consumption of moderate amount red wine can minimize the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Resveratrol may help to regulate blood sugar levels in diabetics.
Red wine can provide a number of health benefits and supports heart health. But, keep it in mind that you should consume it moderate amount to get its maximum benefits. One serving is equivalent to a four-ounce glass of wine. One or two servings per day are beneficial for men and daily consumption of one serving is advantageous for women. If you are habitual to take more drinks, you may get addicted to alcoholism, which is injurious to health. Excess consumption of red wine can cause elevated levels of triglycerides. Long term alcoholism can cause damage to liver, pancreas and nerve cells. Heavy drinking can lead to malnutrition, as alcohol may substitute nutritious foods. Therefore, in order to keep you healthy and fit, enjoy red wine in adequate amount and get all its health benefits.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.