Rice porridge or conjee is one of the popular dishes in many Asian countries. It is consumed in many Asian nations such as India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Japan and Korea. The consistency and flavoring addition may vary in different countries. The type of rice used is also different in various places. It can be prepared thick by adding a little amount of water, or prepared in soup-like consistency by adding more water with shorter cooking time.
Rice porridge is prepared using rice and water with addition of other flavoring ingredients. It can be served as a breakfast, in main course or as a dessert, depending upon added ingredients. To prepare rice porridge, rice is boiled together with a little quantity of salt and oil. The mixture is simmered on a low heat at least for half an hour, until rice grains break down. Once the porridge is prepared, you can add other ingredients like sliced vegetables, sauces, chicken, fish, meat or pickled eggs. In some countries, rice porridge is added with sweet flavor and served as a dessert.
Rice porridge consists of proteins, carbohydrates, sugars, dietary fiber and a fewer amount of fat. Its vitamin content includes vitamin B1, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid and biotin. It also consists of various minerals like calcium, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, zinc and copper.
Health Benefits of Rice Porridge
The main benefit of rice porridge is that it is easy to digest, improving digestion and promoting good health. It is easy to prepare and can be incorporated in any kind of diet. This dish can be made by using a single grain like brown rice or a combination of multiple grains, vegetables and beans to make it healthier.
– Rice itself improves the functioning of spleen and pancreas and improves digestive function. Being easy to digest, the nutrients in rice porridge are easily absorbed and boost energy levels. Therefore, rice porridge is specially recommended for weak or ill individuals. The liquid form of rice porridge can be used as a dietary supplement for nursing babies.
– Due to low calories, rice porridge can be consumed regularly, which can minimize the risk of high blood pressure, heart diseases and other cardiovascular diseases.
– If millet is added to rice porridge, it is very beneficial for nourishing the spleen. Chopped vegetables, lentils, beans and medicinal herbs can be added, which increase the taste as well as nutritional value of rice porridge and offer more health benefits.
– Due to high fiber content, rice porridge helps improve digestion, controls blood pressure and prevents heart problems. Whole grains in rice porridge contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber enhances movement of wastes through the intestine and prevents constipation. Soluble fibers contribute to lower blood glucose levels and low-density lipoprotein blood cholesterol. Intake of fiber-rich rice porridge reduces the risk of hemorrhoids.
– Essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals as well as phytochemicals in rice porridge boost the immune system and help to fight infection.
– Eating rice porridge regularly helps to stabilize the blood sugar levels and minimize the risk of Type 2 diabetes. The high fiber content of porridge helps to delay the absorption of sugar and maintain blood sugar levels in diabetics. Controlled blood sugar levels decrease the risk of developing kidney problems, heart disease and stroke.
– Fiber-rich rice porridge improves digestion as well as helps for weight loss. It helps you to feel fuller for longer time and reduce the quantity of food consumption. Including rice porridge in your breakfast stimulates the metabolism and boosts energy levels. All these things are helpful in healthy weight loss.
Incorporate your diet with delicious rice porridge and stay healthy and energized whole day.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.