Jojoba oil is the golden-colored liquid wax produced in the seed of the Jojoba plant, a shrub which is native to southern Arizona, southern California and northwest Mexico.
The oil has slightly nutty odor. Refined jojoba oil is colorless and odorless. It is used as an ingredient in shampoos, lipsticks, body lotions and skin and scalp cleansing products. Jojoba oil is a fungicide and can be used for controlling mildew.
Jojoba oil Health benefits: It is mainly used in skin and hair care.
- Skin care: It is useful for skin in a variety of ways.
- As a moisturizer: Since the oil is similar to the natural oil produced by our body called sebum, it serves as an effective moisturizer. It is non greasy, pleasant smelling and is easily absorbed by the skin making it soft and supple. It is particularly effective in treating dry and aging skin. It creates a powerful barrier against moisture loss and allergens like dust and pollen.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Jojoba oil reduces painful swelling and redness that accompanies skin rashes and injury. Its anti-inflammatory and anti-septic properties make it effective in treating acne, rosacea, sunburn and eczema.
- Anti-bacterial properties: Jojoba oil is very beneficial in preventing and treating infection of the skin.
- For men when it is rubbed over the whole beard area, it makes the skin supple and smooth for the razor to run thereby reducing friction and resultant cuts and wounds.
- Since it does not block skin pores it is used as effective cleanser and makeup remover.
- It is very popular as a skin massage and bath oil.
- Hair Care:
- It serves as a natural conditioner and moisturizer for the hair if applied regularly.
- It is effective in relieving scalp problems and irritations like dandruff and lice. By cleansing the scalp it improves scalp and follicle circulation.
- Jojoba oil disintegrates sebum build-up on the scalp that blocks hair follicles. This helps in promoting hair growth and reduces hair fall. It is used topically in regrowth of hair in people who are balding.
- It makes hair thicker and stronger by sealing scalp moisture.
- It can be applied on scalp in its pure form or mixed with other essential oils for added benefits.
- Jojoba oil is also an effective natural lip conditioner rich in vitamin E and B-complex. You can also make a lip scrub by blending 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil with a pinch of brown sugar. Apply it on your lips with a wet cloth, leave it for a minute and rinse it to get rid of your dry and flaky lips.
- Cuticle care: Apply few drops of the oil on your dry cuticles at least once a day to improve their condition.
It is an oil that mostly does not cause any allergy but you should look for 100% pure brands, which are cold pressed for the best quality oil. Jojoba oil contaminated with other vegetable oils is not that effective and may worsen skin problems.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.