Lemon is a citrus fruit with abundant health and cosmetic benefits. The fruit is used for culinary and non-culinary purposes throughout the world primarily for its juice. The rind and zest is also used in a variety of foods and drinks. Lemon has strong antibacterial, antiviral and immune-boosting powers. Apart from being rich in vitamin C, it has substantial amount of magnesium, bioflavonoids, pectin and limonene that boosts our immunity.
Lemon Health Benefits
- Skin care: Lemon juice being a natural antiseptic can cure skin problems like acne and eczema. It can be applied to reduce scars of old burns and pain of sun burns and bee stings. Its antioxidant properties make it effective in anti-aging and wrinkle prevention. Drinking lemon juice mixed with water and honey brings a healthy glow to your skin.
- Hair care: Lemon juice applied to the scalp and hair treats problems like hair loss, dandruff and gives your hair a natural shine.
- Dental care: Fresh lemon juice when applied on the area of toothache can help in easing pain. Massaging lemon juice on the gums can stop gum bleeding and eliminate bad odor.
- Digestive health: Lemon juice helps to cure problems related to indigestion and constipation. Adding a few drops of lemon in your dish aids in digestion. After a heavy lunch or dinner drinking fresh lemon soda is very helpful in easing digestion. Drinking juice of 1 lemon mixed in warm water first thing in the morning increases peristalsis in the bowel and eases elimination.
- Kills intestinal worms: Intestinal parasites thrive on the acidic environment of our digestive system but lemon by increasing the alkalinity naturally kills them.
- Diuretic properties: Being a diuretic lemon is beneficial in treating rheumatism and arthritis. It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins from the body.
- Treats respiratory tract problems: The anti-oxidants in lemon help to fight harmful oxidants the lungs produce in the form of allergens during bouts of asthma. Thus regular consumption of lemon juice helps fight the disease. Lemon as a rich source of vitamin C and flavonoids works against throat infection, flu and colds.
- Corn treatment: Lemon juice can dissolve lumps on the skin, so it can be applied at the places where the skin has hardened up like on foot sole or our palms. For the same reason it is beneficial for reducing gall stones.
- Controls blood pressure: Lemon juice contains potassium which is very good for controlling high blood pressure.
- Detoxification and restoring pH balance: Lemon juice taken with warm water acts as a liver detoxifier and cleanses the kidney as well. The high alkalinity of lemons helps to restore body’s pH balance which is beneficial for fighting cancer and other illness.
- Prevents osteoporosis: The high content of vitamin C in lemon juice helps the body to absorb calcium and therefore fight osteoporosis. Two tablespoons of raw lemon juice diluted in a glass of warm water is good for pregnant women since it helps to build bones in the unborn child.
- Lemon eases nausea, vomiting and travel sickness. Drinking a glass of lemon juice diluted in water or sucking on a lemon wedge for a minute or two subsides nausea and travel sickness.
- Lemon oil has blood vessel strengthening properties that can help fight varicose and spider veins. You can mix 2 to 3 drops of lemon essential oil with jojoba, avocado or almond oil and massage the affected area.
Apart from all these benefits lemon also curbs your hunger cravings because it is high in pectin fiber and therefore helps in weight loss. Lemon is also very useful in repelling insects. You can just add 20 drops on lemon oil to 1 cup of water and spray into the air to keep them away.