Onions are versatile and essential ingredient in variety of food recipes. Native to Asia, onion is scientifically known as Allium cepa. It is popular all over the world for adding a delicious flavor in savory dishes. Dry onions have dry, papery skin and juicy flesh with a pungent flavor. There are different varieties of onions depending upon the size, color and strength. Yellow onion with pale golden skin and greenish-white flesh is the most common variety. Red onions are mild in taste with shiny purple skin and red-tinged flesh. Spring onions are immature type of onions, as they are uprooted before the onion bulb is completely formed. You might have noticed that when you chop onion, it makes you cry. It is a volatile sulfur-rich oil in onion that makes your eyes water.
Onion is a major source of flavonoid and polyphenol. Among the flavonoids, onion contains a huge amount of quercetin. Additionally, onion consists of a large variety of allyl sulfides and sulfoxides. Onion is loaded with numerous essential nutrients such as sugar, carbohydrates, soluble and insoluble fiber, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids. Due to its rich flavor, onion has become an integral part of cooking and due to its nutrient content, it can be used to treat and prevent various ailments.
Medicinal Properties of Onions
Onion consists of a variety of natural chemicals that possess ability to fight a wide range of infections and diseases.
- Onion contains quercetin which is a natural anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory compound. It aids to combat a variety of illnesses from common cold to different types of cancer. Quercetin inhibits the tumor growth and prevents colon cancer.
- Helps to Reverse Heart Disease Naturally
- Due to high levels of chromium, onion helps to maintain hormonal balance, which is helpful in relieving PMS symptoms.
- Dry onion is a good source of fibers as well as healthy sulfur compounds. It helps to reduce blood pressure, lower blood cholesterol levels and maintain cardiovascular health.
- Onions are loaded with phytochemicals, namely flavonoids. They assist the functioning of vitamin C, reducing inflammation and improving integrity of blood vessels. This boosts your cardiovascular health and improves immunity.
- A mineral, chromium present in onion enhances the response of cells to insulin and assists blood sugar control.
- Consumption of raw onions promotes the production of HDL (good) cholesterol, keeping your heart healthy.
- In addition, application of onion juice gives instant relief from pain and burning sensation due to honeybee sting.
- Onions help to get rid of harmful free radicals and minimize the risk of gastric ulcers.
- Onions contain sulfur-containing amino acids, called cystine and methionine. They help to detoxify the body from heavy metals. Also, vitamin C in onions is helpful for body detoxification.
- Regular consumption of onions is good for your heart health. Eating onion boosts HDL cholesterol, assists in blood thinning, prevents blood clotting, lowers total cholesterol and triglycerides and reduces blood pressure.
- Onion can be used to treat asthma. It prevents the production of compounds that can cause spasm of bronchial muscles. It causes relaxation of bronchial muscles.
- Due to its antibacterial properties, onion keeps the ability to destroy numerous disease-causing pathogens, such as salmonella and E. coli.
Include onions in your daily diet to enjoy their ultimate flavor and amazing medicinal properties. You will get double benefit – delicious food and good health.