Radish is the most common ingredient of salad. Radish, known as Raphanus sativus scientifically, is an edible root vegetable that belongs to the family Brassicaceae. It has sweet or pungent taste with plentiful of juice.
There are several different varieties of radishes, depending upon their color, size and duration of cultivation time. Radishes can be white, black, purple or red in color and long, round or cylindrical in shape. Some radishes are cultivated for their seeds, while oilseed radishes are grown for oil production. Radish seeds are edible and can be added to salads for a crunchy, spicy flavor.
Due to medicinal properties of seeds, some varieties of radishes are particularly cultivated for the seeds or seed pods. Radish seeds are sprouted and consumed just like other sprouts. Seed extract can also be used.
Radishes are packed with a large variety of nutrients that are essential for preventing diseases and maintaining good health. They contain good amount of carbohydrates, sugars, proteins and dietary fiber with negligible amount of fats. They are also rich in various essential vitamins like vitamin C, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6 and folate. Radishes are also a good source of minerals like iron, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, manganese, zinc, potassium and fluoride.
Health Benefits of Radish Seeds
Radish seeds or daikon seeds have been used for centuries to treat various health problems. They help to relieve indigestion, reduce fatigue and cleanse blood and body. They can be effectively used to cure migraine headache, sore throats, edema, congestion and hangovers. They are also beneficial for bloating, diabetes, acne and cellulite. Radish seeds are helpful to improve immune kidney function, boost immune system and enhance blood circulation. Radish seed oil is used to heal and soften dry, cracked skin.
– Radish seeds are a rich source of anthocyanins, a type of flavonoids. They help to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Anthocyanins also have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
– Due to detoxifying properties, radish seeds are beneficial for healthy stomach and liver. They help to purify the blood and flush out toxins and wastes. Radish seeds can be effectively used to treat jaundice as they remove excess bilirubin and also control its production. They are also helpful in reducing destruction of red blood cells by improving fresh oxygen supply to the blood.
– Radish contains large amount of indigestible carbohydrates, which improves digestion, water retention and relieves constipation, which is a leading cause of piles. Being a good detoxifier, radish seeds can be used to reduce the symptoms of piles.
– Due to detoxifying properties and rich content of antioxidant vitamin C, folic acid and anthocyanins, radish seeds can be used to treat various types of cancers, especially stomach, colon, intestinal, kidney and oral cancer. Isthiocyanates present in radishes are known to alter the genetic pathways of malignant cells and cause cell death, inhibiting reproduction of cells.
– Anti-carcinogenic and detoxifying properties of radish seeds make them beneficial in treating leucoderma. They are used in powdered form and soaked in vinegar or ginger juice and applied over the white patches.
– Being a very good source of potassium, radish seeds help to relieve various health problems associated with potassium. Potassium plays a key role in reducing blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels and improving blood flow.
– Radish seeds are beneficial for the diabetics. They regulate the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream and help to control blood sugar levels.
– The vitamins like vitamin C, some of vitamin B complex and minerals like zinc and phosphorus present in radish seeds are found to be beneficial for the skin. They relive various skin problems like dry skin, cracks and rashes and make the skin moisturized and healthy.
– Due to high fiber content, radish seeds help to regulate bowel movements and relieve the symptoms of constipation. They also help to make loose bowels firm and relive diarrhea.
– Radish seeds help to eliminate excess mucus in the throat and soothe the symptoms of sore throat. They are found to be helpful to get rid of congestion by clearing sinuses.
– Due to diuretic, detoxifying and disinfectant properties, radish seeds are effective in treating various kidney disorders. Diuretic properties of radish help to eliminate toxins from the kidneys. Because of disinfectant properties, radish seeds can protect the kidneys from any kind of infection.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.