4Celery is a herb having a strong aromatic flavor and is used extensively in Mediterranean cuisine. It can be easily grown in kitchen gardens and pots. Celery stick is very rich in vitamin C, B2, B6 and B1, K, dietary fiber, potassium, folic acid and calcium. Its phenolic phytonutrients including caffeic acid, caffeoylquinic acid, cinnamic acid, coumaric acid, ferulic acid and apigenin makes it a good antioxidant and anti-inflammatory herb.
Health benefits of Celery Stalk
- Controls hypertension: Phthalide and potassium present in celery stick helps to keep a check at our blood pressure. Potassium suppresses the negative effects of sodium and phthalide inhibits synthesis of stress hormone thereby easing discomforts associated with hypertension.
- Helps to Whiten Your Teeth at Home Naturally .
- Promotes brain health: L-3-N-Butylphthalide present in celery stick protects our brain from neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s disease by inhibiting deposition of amyloid-beta peptides in brain.
- Controls urinary tract infections (UTIs): Because of its diuretic properties it has been used traditionally in Trinidad and Tobago as a therapy for UTIs. As a natural diuretic it prevents edema, lowers blood pressure and flushes out kidney stones and toxins without much loss of potassium. This also helps to flush out uric acid crystals formed around the joints thereby relieving pain and inflammation of gout.
- Effective in repelling mosquitoes: When celery oil is applied externally on the skin it repels mosquitoes and protects us from dengue, malaria and chickengunya.
- Enhances male fertility: Celery oil along with vitamin E boosts sperm count and motility thereby enhancing fertility in men.
- Cancer prevention: Antioxidants phthalides and polyacetylenes present in celery stalk bring about detoxification of carcinogens in our body and prevent us from cancer of stomach, colon, bladder and other internal organs.
- Good for our eyes: Vitamin A rich celery stick helps in maintaining good eyesight and prevents night blindness, cataract and age related macular degeneration. Putting celery tea drops on eyelids eases eye inflammations.
- Coumarins present in celery eases migraine headaches. The mild sedative properties of celery help to induce sleep and enhance relaxation.
- The essential oil extracted from celery soothes the nervous system and eases headaches and nervous irritability. High calcium and magnesium content of celery helps to calm the nerves, relieve anxiety and makes you feel stress free.
- Luteolin and polyacetylene present in the herb inhibits inflammation and thereby reduces severity of inflammatory conditions like asthma, arthritis, rheumatism and muscular pains.
- Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties are also beneficial for lowering blood cholesterol and preventing atherosclerosis, heart attack and stroke.
- Juice made using celery stalk is rich in potassium, sodium and other minerals. Therefore drinking it after workouts or strenuous activities replenishes lost electrolytes and reenergizes you.
- Fresh celery is very rich in vitamin K which increases our bone density and prevents osteoporosis. Vitamin K also helps in healthy blood clotting.
Caution: It is safe for all. Only in rare instances it cause allergy in people sensitive to a chemical called psoralens produced by celery against fungal infestation of the plant. As celery lowers blood pressure it should not be given to people suffering from hypotension.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.