Find here how to use grapefruit to cure various diseases naturally.
Grapefruit Medicinal Properties
The grapefruit is a large citrus food that is juicy, tart and tangy with an underlying sweetness. It is an excellent source of many nutrients and phytochemicals that make your diet healthy. Grapefruit is rich in Vitamin C, the fiber pectin and beneficial antioxidant lycopene that is only present in its red and pink variety. Having half a grapefruit in breakfast daily is one of the healthiest ways to start the day.
- Inhibits tumor formation: Phytonutrients called limonoids present in grapefruit prevent tumor formation by promoting the formation of a detoxifying enzyme. Pulp of the fruit contains glucarates that may help prevent breast cancer. Drinking 3 glasses of grapefruit juice a day reduces the activity of the enzyme that activates cancer-causing chemicals found in tobacco smoke. It also induces apoptosis of cancer cells.
- Lowers cholesterol: The pectin present in the fruit has been associated with reducing LDL cholesterol, triglyceride levels and improving blood levels of protective anti-oxidants. The red grapefruit is twice as effective because of the synergetic effect of its phytonutrients including lycopene.
- Prevents kidney stones: Drinking a liter of grapefruit juice daily reduces the chances of formation of calcium oxalate kidney stones by increasing the urinary pH value and citric acid excretion.
- Repairs DNA: Naringenin, a flavonoid present in the fruit helps repair damaged DNA in human prostate cancer cells. The risk of prostate cancer increases with age since more times our cells have divided more are the chances of DNA mutations to occur. Naringenin restores damaged DNA by inducing two enzymes that are involved in the DNA base excision repair pathway. Learn how to cure auto immune diseases naturally.
- Powerhouse of Vitamin C: Ascorbic acid rich grapefruit supports the immune system, reduces symptoms and severity of cold as well as is beneficial in inflammatory conditions like asthma, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Vitamin C also promotes cardiovascular health.
- Works as an antiseptic: The salicylic acid present in the fruit is a powerful antiseptic. Grapefruit seed extracts can be added to water to make an antiseptic spray for treating bacterial and fungal infections.
- The fruit helps in losing weight. The high amount of enzymes present in the fruit burn body fats and increase metabolism. Its high water content makes you feel full and thereby reduces your hunger pangs.
- Grapefruit contains good amount of vitamin A and flavonoid antioxidants that are good for our vision and prevention of lungs and oral-cavity cancer. Furthermore vitamin A is good for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin.
A good grapefruit may not always be perfect in colour but should be heavy for their sizes. This indicates that their skin is thin but there is a higher concentration of juicier flesh. Choose fully ripened grapefruits to get maximum benefits of its antioxidants. Since they are juicier when they are slightly warm they can be stored at room temperatures. Grapefruit juice increases the potency and bioavailability of certain pharmaceutical drugs like immunosuppressent cyclosporine, calcium channel blocker drugs and antihistamine terfenadine. But people taking statin drugs should avoid grapefruits as it may trigger serious statin-associated disease.
Where to Buy Home Remedies ? Search Amazon
Search Amazon to buy good quality home remedies at discount rates.