In this world there is hardly anyone who has not experienced ache in his whole life. Pain and aches can strike anywhere at any age. Ache is a persistent pain whereas pain is something more localised and short-lived. Aches can arise as a result of some muscle strain and infection or sometimes without any cause also.
Some common causes of aches may be an injury, lifting heavy weights, sprains and strains, trauma, hard workouts. Also some prolonged illness may lead to aches like arthritis, any intro-abdominal condition like hernia, appendicitis, infections such as influenza and many other.
Aches or pain can be broadly categorised in to Acute and chronic pain or aches:
- Acute:- This pain arises suddenly and mainly caused by any damage to tissue or from any disease, inflammation or injury. This type of pain is mostly self-timed.
- Chronic:- This type of ache lasts longer than acute one, it may worsen by environmental and psychological factors. It persists for a longer period of time and is generally somewhat resistant to medical treatment. Mostly it is associated with long term illness.
Aches can also be classified on the basis of tissue damaged:
- Caused by tissue damage:- Most aches are the result of tissue damage, the injury resulting in a pain or ache may be bone, soft tissue or organs. The ache experienced due to this is very severe and gets worsened on movement.
- Caused by Nerve Damage:- Nerves can be said as the wiring done inside a person in order to transmit signals including pain signals to and from brain. Damage to nerves can give very intense pain or burning sensation is felt. The pain or aches due to nerve damage can further be classified as:
- Central Pain Syndrome.
- Trigeminal neuralgia.
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain.
- Complex regional aches.
- Shingles and postherpetic neuralgia.
Other types may be said on the basis of area affected:
- Back ache
- Muscle aches.
- Stomach aches
- Body Ache.
- Joint ache.
- Throat ache.
- Neck pain.
Serious Symptoms of Aches:-
In some cases aches may be a symptom of life threatening condition. If aches are accompanied by following symptoms then doctors consultation is required.
- Breathing difficulty.
- High fever.
- Continuous vomiting.
- Confusion or loss of consciousness.
- Difficulty in movement or in moving legs or arms.
- Neck stiffness along with fever.
- Severe muscle weakness or paralytic condition.
The treatment of aches depends on their causes:
- Relief to aches due to injuries may be achieved by resting, putting ice or hot water battle as per situation, or by taking mild analgesics.
- For other severe type of aches, doctor’s consultation should be taken based on diagnosis the expert may provide with medicines or other treatments like physiotherapies and others.
One can prevent some evitable aches like by not exerting oneself beyond extent, or by being cautious while doing activities or even while walking as no one knows when you can get fumbled and pain or ache may arise. As an old saying says prevention is always better than cure may not strictly apply here but can be to an extent.