Find here how to use Geranium Essential Oil to cure diseases ,medicinal properties & other benefits of Geranium Essential Oil .
Geranium Essential Oil – What does it Cures
Geranium plants are native to arid areas of South Africa’s Cape Province and are highly drought resistant due to their semi-succulent and water conserving stems and leaves. Geranium essential oil is distilled from the above-ground parts of the plant. It is an indispensible aromatherapy oil and offers many health benefits. The main components of this oil are Myrcene, Alpha Pinene, Menthone, Limonene, Linalool, Geranyl Acetate, Citronellol, Geraniol and Geranyl Butyrate.
- Antibacterial and Antimicrobial properties: The oil prevents microbial growth on external wounds and keeps you safe from infections thus boosting the body’s immune system. Few drops of the oil can be diluted in a wound wash or a healing cream and applied to prevent infections. For treating cold sores you can take 1 drop of the oil on a cotton swab and dab the affected area.
- Astringent: The astringent properties of the oil make it induce contraction of gums, muscles, intestine, skin, tissues and blood vessels. Contractions of abdominal muscles give us a better toned look. The essential oil prevents our skin from sagging and delays premature aging by tightening the facial skin and thereby preventing wrinkles.
- Hemostatic agent: It speeds up blood coagulation and clotting which aids in fast healing of wounds and prevents toxin from entering the body through open or unclotted wounds.
- Heals skin scars: Geranium oil is an effective cicatrisant. It also facilitates blood circulation below the surface of the skin and promotes uniform distribution of melanin. For skin problems like acne, athlete’s foot, chilblains, dandruff and eczema you can put 2-3 drops of the oil on a cotton ball and apply on the affected area.
- Promotes cell health: It promotes recycling of dead cells and regeneration of the new ones.
- Stress reliever: It is found to be effective in mood uplifting and enhancing mental functioning which makes it effective in treating mental stress, depression, chronic anxiety and anger issues. For tension and stress that interferes with your sleep, you can take put 4 drops of the oil on a tissue or a cotton ball and keep it inside the pillow case. You can also use 2 to 3 drops in an ounce of carrier oil for a relaxing massage.
- Vermifuge: This property of the essential oil makes it very useful for children who suffer from intestinal worms. Externally, infestation of fleas, ticks and head lice can be treated with diluted geranium oil.
- Diuretic: As a diuretic it increases urination and flushes toxins out of the body. But before taking it internally you should consult a qualified practitioner for appropriate dosage.
- Prevents neural degeneration: The oil activates microglial cells which fight against neuro-degenerative diseases like dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- Respiratory tract infections: To relieve a sore throat and help fight tonsillitis use 2-5 drops in steam inhalation. You can add 5 drops in a vaporizer to ease respiratory problems.
- For cellulite, menopause and premenstrual syndrome mix 20 drops in 1 ounce of carrier oil and massage on body.
Geranium oil is perfectly safe for home use in moderate amounts. In very large quantities it may cause irritation to sensitive skins. Since it influences certain hormone secretion it is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women.