Beetroot or beet is a purplish-red colored root vegetable known for its many health benefits. It contains carbohydrates, protein, healthy antioxidants, soluble fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, B6 and C as well as folic acid.
They are free from trans fat and saturated fats and are low in calories. You can eat a raw beet or can boil, steam, roast or sauté it. Juice and soups are made using beetroot.
Health Benefits of Beets:
- Controls hypertension: Beetroots are rich in nitrates which are beneficial in keeping a check at increasing blood pressure. Nitrates are converted to nitrites and nitric oxides in our body that dilate our arteries and reduce blood pressure.
- to Get Rid of Gallstones without Surgery
- Good for our heart: Soluble fibers, flavanoids and antioxidant betacyanin present in beets inhibit oxidation of LDL or bad cholesterol and prevent formation of plaque on artery walls thereby reducing risks of atherosclerosis, heart attacks and stroke.
- to Cure Arthritis Naturally
- Benefits for women: It has substantial amounts of iron which is good for women to prevent them from anemia by building up the blood lost during menstruation. Folic acid of raw beet is especially beneficial for pregnant women and their fetus as it needed for preventing spina bifida in the unborn child. Moreover it provides energy and gives an instant boost to the stamina of the pregnant mother.
- To Get Rid of Gout Naturally
- Safeguards against cancer: A study depicted that antioxidant betacyanin present in beetroot is effective in lowering the rate of growth of tumors in prostate and breast cancer patients by 12.5%.
- Digestive benefits: People suffering from digestive problems like constipation, irritable bowel syndrome and hypochlorhydria are recommended daily consumption of beet or beetroot juice to ease these conditions. High fiber content of the vegetable works wonder for the digestive system. By flushing out toxins it also keeps stomach and colon cancer at bay.
- Prevents memory loss and dementia: As beetroot enhances blood flow throughout the body including our brain it helps to boost our memory and prevent dementia. Its high nitrate content is especially beneficial in enhancing blood flow to the ischemic and hypoxic areas of the brain as well as in enhancing faster transmission of neural impulses.
- It is beneficial for diabetics as its high fiber content keeps a check at the levels of sugar in our body. Being little sweet it satisfies a person’s craving for sugar and at the same time has a low glycemic load.
- Skin and hair care: Beetroot juice is beneficial in reducing skin inflammation, preventing premature aging, maintaining skin elasticity and keeping a control at appearance of boils and pimples. Carotenoids present in beetroots are beneficial in preventing hair thinning and adding radiance to your mane. You can even apply beetroot paste on bald patches for natural regrowth of hair.
- It is also beneficial in relieving fatigue, increasing stamina, promoting sexual health, preventing osteoporosis, macular degeneration and age related eye problems.
As beets are safe for all you can easily make it a part of your daily diet and relish its taste and enjoy the health benefits.