Kefir is a fermented milk drink made with kefir grains. It has a tangy, mild flavor and is naturally fizzy due to carbon dioxide produced during fermentation. Kefir has high level of live and active probiotic cultures good for digestion and our immune system. It is an excellent source of protein, calcium, vitamins, minerals and fiber which makes it especially beneficial for children and women. Since it is rich in enzymes it is easily digestible as well. Kefir can be used to make cultured cream, cream cheese, hard cheese and cultured butter.
Kefir Health Benefits
- Good for children: Kefir normalizes intestinal microflora thereby positively affecting the digestive process. Therefore may pediatricians recommend including it in baby’s diet. It is also very good for lactose intolerant kids.
- Healthy immune system: The rich probiotic, yeast, vitamin and mineral content of kefir make the immune system more effective in fighting against various bacteria and viruses thus protecting us from various diseases. Drinking a cup of kefir daily on an empty stomach during epidemics of SARS and influenza is often recommended by doctors. A study indicated that hay fever sufferers who drank kefir experienced a decreased severity in immune response to grass pollen.It also cures Crohn’s Disease naturally
- Treats various medical conditions: Because of its antibiotic and antifungal properties, kefir can fight allergies, some forms of cancer, metabolic disorders, osteoporosis, hypertension, tuberculosis, gallstones, liver diseases and candidiasis.
- Aids in digestion: Rich in probiotics, it helps to maintain proper digestive function, improves bowel movements and treats irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea and constipation. It also prevents gas formation.
- Diverticulosis of colon: Since kefir is rich in lactobacillus acidiphillus and other probiotic bacteria, consuming it replenishes the colon with the needed amount of helpful bacteria and may prevent the inflammation of diverticula.Also cures leaky gut naturally.
- Good for women’s health: Since it is rich in calcium it is very good for bone health of women. It also relieves headaches during menstruation and menopause. It eliminates nausea during pregnancy. Pregnant and nursing women are advised to drink kefir to increase absorption of essential nutrients, increase immunity and aid the body’s adjustment to hormonal changes. Regular consumption of kefir may help prevent yeast infections in women and promote weight loss.
- Lowers cholesterol: Kefir drinks enriched with the plant based compounds phytosterol and stanol lower levels of LDL cholesterol in the blood.
- Energy and memory booster: Adding kefir to your daily diet is goof for boosting your overall energy and memory.
- Skin and hair care: Kefir helps to cure many skin diseases like acne, pimples and scalp psoriasis. It also helps to grow hair faster. Apart from drinking you can even apply kefir on your face. First clean your skin, apply the milk, allow it to dry and wash it. This will give you a smooth and radiant complexion.Helps to cure infant thrush .
- The essential amino acid tryptophan present in kefir is effective in relaxing the nervous system. This can help with depression, ADHD and sleep disorders.
Kefir is neither a drug nor a chemically produced drink and that is why it is safe for everyone. Many nutritionist recommend consuming fresh kefir just before bedtime as it is proven that the calcium in it is easier to digest when a person is asleep.