Lettuce is a very popular green leafy vegetable widely used in salads. Lettuce is very low in fat but rich in vitamin A, vitamin K and potassium. It is almost always eaten raw providing us with many micronutrients which may get destroyed if cooked.
Lettuce Health benefits
- Treats constipation: Being rich in cellulose lettuce increases the bulk of intestinal contents and encourages peristalsis. Making it a part of your daily diet is therefore beneficial in treating chronic constipation.
- Treats insomnia: As it contains a sleep inducing substance called lactucarium it is beneficial in the treatment of insomnia. It’s a mild opiate substance present in all types of lettuce. Simply eat few leaves or drink lettuce juice before going to sleep.
- Relieves headache: Lettuce juice when mixed with oil of roses and applied on forehead can relieve headaches
- Prevents cancer: Since lettuce is rich in vitamin A and vitamin C that have antioxidant properties it helps to protect the body from lung and oral cavity cancer.
- Good for eyesight: Zea-xanthin, an important dietary carotenoid present in leafy lettuce gives protection against age-related macular degeneration in the elderly.
- Provides nutrition during pregnancy and lactation: Folic acid in lettuce helps prevent megaloblastic anemia during pregnancy. Folic acid also prevents neural tube defects in-utero fetus during pregnancy. Eating lettuce has a major effect on the secretion of the hormone progesterone important during pregnancy and lactation.
- Bone health: Being rich in vitamin K lettuce is good for bone metabolism. It increases bone mass by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bone cells thereby helping to prevent osteoporosis.
- Boosts immunity: Since fresh lettuce leaves is packed with vitamin C it helps boost the immune system. Vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenges harmful, pro-inflammatory oxygen free radicals.Also helps to cure ITP naturally.
- Helps in weight loss: Lettuce is very good for dieters because it is very low in calories. It contains fiber and is rich in water allowing the body to be hydrated and gives a sense of fullness for long. This controls your hunger pangs and helps lose weight.
- Lettuce is alkaline forming: The minerals in lettuce help remove toxins and keep the body’s acid/alkaline balance in order. This in turn boosts the body’s energy level, instills clear thinking, helps in deep restful sleep and maintains youthful skin.
- Low glycemic index: The glycemic load of lettuce is considered 0 which makes it safe for people with high blood sugar.
- High potassium content makes it good for people with hypertension.
- Good for heart: The vitamin C and beta-carotene in lettuce work together to prevent the oxidation of cholesterol which in turn prevents build up of plaque in blood vessels that lead to heart attack or stroke.
- Lettuce is recommended for smokers because it protects the lungs from carcinogens in tobacco and tobacco smoke.
Lettuce is one of the vegetables most vulnerable to pesticide exposure and when contaminated becomes a source of bacterial, viral and parasitic outbreaks in human beings. So make sure you wash it thoroughly before eating it raw or cooking.