Orange is evergreen, tropical to semitropical, small flowering tree, bearing seasonal fruits. Oranges are oval or sphere-shaped with leathery porous skin. They are of two types such as sweet and bitter; the former variant is commonly consumed. Different types of sweet variety oranges are Navel, Valencia, Persian variety and blood orange. Belonging to the family Rutaceae, oranges are known by the scientific name Citrus sinensis.
Oranges contain all the essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals that are essential for healthy growth and development as well as for well-being. Oranges are loaded with phytochemicals and antioxidants. They also contain carbohydrates, sugars, proteins, dietary fiber, water and vitamins like vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, choline, vitamin C, vitamin E as well as minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, zinc and potassium. Orange can be taken in its whole form or as a juice. It is considered to be very nutritious and healthy for patients to regain energy.
Health Benefits of Oranges
Oranges have diverse and plentiful nutrients. The fruits are low in calories, with no content of saturated fats and cholesterol. With its rich content of essential nutrients, orange is known to provide a number of health benefits.
- – Helps to Dissolve Kidney Stones Naturally
- Oranges are rich in dietary fiber, pectin. Pectin, due to its laxative action, protects the mucous membrane of colon by reducing its exposure to toxic substances. Pectin is also known to lower cholesterol levels by preventing its re-absorption in the colon through the process of binding to bile acids present in the colon. Pectin is also effective for weight loss.
- Used for Permanent Removal of Nasal Polyps without Surgery .
- Being a citrus fruit, orange is a rich source of vitamin C, which is a powerful natural antioxidant. It enhances body’s resistance against infectious agents and eliminates harmful free radicals from the blood.
- Oranges have abundance of various phytochemicals. Flavonoids like naringin, naringenin and hesperetin are the major flavonoids. Naringenin acts as an antioxidant that removes free radicals from the body, causes anti-inflammatory action and improves immune system.
- – Helps to Treat Diverticulitis Naturally .
- Other flavonoid antioxidants present in oranges are alpha and beta carotenes, zea-xanthin, beta-cryptoxanthin and lutine. Oranges also contain high amount of vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining healthy skin and mucous membrane as well as for good eye sight. Regular consumption of fruits rich in flavonoids such as oranges helps to prevent lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Orange peel consists of all anti-cholesterol compounds, which help fight bad LDL cholesterol in the body. LDL cholesterol forms plaque and clot in the heart arteries, increasing the risk of heart attack. Therefore, including orange peel in your diet helps to lower cholesterol levels, preventing heart diseases.
- Apart from eliminating free radicals from the body, the phytochemicals in oranges help to inhibit the division and growth of malignant cells.
- Oranges are richly loaded with dietary fiber, which is helpful to prevent digestive problems like bloating, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome. Oranges give soothing effect and improve digestive function.
- As per scientific evidence, phytophenols present in oranges help to keep the brain active. Take oranges or orange juice 3-4 times a day and feel fresh and energized.
- Regular consumption of oranges fulfills the daily need of B-complex vitamins like pyridoxine, thiamin and folates. So, you need not take external supplements for vitamin B.
- Oranges are also rich in various minerals such as calcium and potassium. Potassium is a major component of cell and body fluids. It helps to control blood pressure and heart rate by anticipating sodium actions.
- Regular consumption of orange juice helps to prevent formation of calcium oxalate kidney stones. Due to high content of vitamin C, oranges also help to prevent gastric ulcer and minimize the risk of stomach cancer. Large content of carotenoids in oranges helps to lower the risk of liver cancer.
- Beta-carotene in oranges is a powerful antioxidant, which protects the skin from free radicals. Application of orange peel mask relieves many skin problems and prevents signs of aging, making it smooth and clear.
It is very important to wash the oranges thoroughly in running water before use, because they are sprayed with insecticides. Otherwise, you may choose organic oranges, which are free from chemicals. People susceptible to foodborne allergies should avoid drinking freshly squeezed, unpasteurized orange juice, as it may contain bacteria.