Strawberries are bright red colored juicy sweet fruits that are rich in anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients. They are eaten fresh or processed to make fruit juice, jams, pies, ice creams, milkshakes and chocolates. Being nutrient dense they offer a wide range of health benefits and are cultivated worldwide. Strawberries are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium but are very rich in vitamin C and B-complex vitamins.
Strawberries Health benefits
- Controls blood sugar: Regular consumption of strawberries has been found to be positively affecting blood sugar levels and thereby reducing chances of developing type 2 diabetes. Ellagitannin, a type of polyphenol present in the fruit lowers the activity of alpha-amylase enzyme that breaks amylose starches into simple sugars. This helps to keep a check at our blood sugar levels.
- Helps in Whitening Teeth naturally.
- Anti-carcinogenic properties: The anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of strawberries make them beneficial anti-carcinogenic fruits. They have been found to be lowering risks of cancer related to breast, cervix, colon and esophagus. The phytonutrients, ellagic acid and ellagitannins present in strawberry also contribute to reduce oxidative stress and inhibit tumor and cancerous growth in the body.
- Good for cardiovascular system: The manganese and Vitamin C present in the fruit protect our heart and blood vessels from damage caused by oxygen-free radicals and inflammatory conditions. Moreover the flavonoids reduce the levels of LDL or bad cholesterol and thereby maintain healthy blood vessels and prevent unwanted blood clotting. All this help in preventing atherosclerosis, heart attack and stroke.Improves Platelet Count Naturally .
- Improves inflammatory bowel conditions: The salicylic acid present in strawberries has been found to bring about reduction in inflammation of the digestive tract thereby helping to treat diseases like ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease.
- Anti-inflammatory benefits: The phenols present in strawberries are beneficial for treating inflammatory conditions like gout, arthritis and asthma. A study depicted that women who consumed approximately 16 strawberries weekly had lower levels of C-reactive protein which rises during inflammation as compared to others.
- Promotes eye health: Vitamin C rich strawberries strengthen our cornea and retina. By suppressing oxidative stress, anti-oxidants in strawberries prevent age-related macular degeneration. They also prevent damage of optical nerves caused by drying of eyes.
- Vitamin K, potassium and magnesium present in the fruit are beneficial for maintaining healthy and strong bones thereby keeping osteoporosis at bay.
- Skin care: Regular consumption of strawberry keeps the skin soft, supple, wrinkle free and promotes regeneration of new cells. It maintains skin’s elasticity and serves as a good anti-aging agent. The alpha-hydroxy acid present in the fruit serves as a good scrubber for removing dead cells from the skin.
- Boosts immunity: Vitamin C in strawberry enhances body’s resistance against infections like cold, cough and flu thereby enhancing our immunity and keeping us fit.
- Weight control: Since the fruit is less in calories and high in satiety it keeps your hunger pangs in control.
Strawberry is a very safe fruit. All age groups including pregnant and lactating women can enjoy it without fear of any side effects.