Wheatgrass in a nutrient rich food prepared from the embryonic leaves of wheat plants. It is sold in a variety of forms like fresh or frozen juice, tablets, capsules, tincture and powder concentrate. As a dietary supplement it provides our body with iron, calcium, magnesium, amino acids, vitamins A, C and E. Wheatgrass can be easily grown at individual homes. It offers many health benefits by virtue of it anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
Health benefits of wheatgrass
- Detoxifies the body: Vitamins B, C, E and carotene present in high amounts in wheat grass help the body to get rid of harmful oxygen free radicals. Its high saponin content is beneficial for the lymphatic system as it enhances excretion of toxins from the cells. Wheatgrass is associated with enhancing elimination of internal waste including mucous that has hardened, crystallized acids and solid and decaying feces.
- Beneficial for blood: The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass is said to build red blood cells rapidly, dilate blood vessels which in turn helps to maintain normal blood pressure, stimulate enzymes and enhance alkalinity of the blood and thereby boost energy levels.
- Body building benefits: Wheatgrass is a vegetarian source of complete protein helping in cell regeneration and tissue building. Therefore many bodybuilders consume its juice regularly.
- Improve Platelet Count
- Skin care: Wheatgrass juice is beneficial as a skin cleansing agent and since it can easily permeate through the skin its topical application can cure acne, scars, itchiness, rashes and sunburn. The antioxidants in wheatgrass make the skin wrinkle free, supple and radiant. It is also beneficial for eczema or psoriasis.
- to Reverse Hair Loss in Men Naturally
- It also prevents our hair from graying.
- Helps in digestion: Many enzymes present in wheat grass like protease helps to digest protein, lipase splits fat and amylase facilitates digestion. The chlorophyll in wheatgrass is beneficial for the colon. High magnesium present in wheatgrass juice treats constipation and irritable bowel syndrome as well. It’s also beneficial for conditions like peptic ulcers and colitis.
- Benefits for the teeth: The juice used as a mouthwash fights bad breath, controls dental decay, strengthens gums and relieves toothaches by virtue of its antibacterial properties.
- Stimulates thyroid gland: In people suffering from hypothyroidism wheatgrass has been found to be effective in stimulating the thyroid gland which in turn ensures proper hormonal balance in the body. This is also helpful in preventing diabetes and indigestion.
- Can prevent cancer: Various antioxidants in wheatgrass including antioxidant enzymes superoxide dismutase and cytochrome oxidase as well as chlorophyll, which is also an anti-mutagen, help to prevent cancerous growth and tumors in the body. Anticancer minerals selenium and laetrile is also present in wheatgrass.
- Wheatgrass juice also relieves cough, common cold, fever, sore throat and bronchitis.
- The juice is also used as a rectal implant to cleanse the colon and restore useful bacteria.
- It is also beneficial in promoting intelligence and fertility, reducing negative impacts of chemotherapy, treating urinary tract infections and inducing sound sleep thereby relieving insomnia.
- Drinking the juice daily can reduce severity of arthritis.
Caution: Before making the juice, wheatgrass should be washed thoroughly to remove any mold infestation.